Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mixed Race Kids of All Nations

Mixed Race Kids of All Nations

I was given the opportunity to live
Now I must learn how to forgive

The uncomfortable stares and comments I hear
Are not always compliments nor sincere

People may talk about what race I appear to be
But God made me in his image so don’t define me

I am proud to be biracial, mixed, or just a human being
I will not allow anyone to make me feel like fleeing

I accept me even though I may not have complete membership
Society has a tendency to include me when they see fit

They say it’s easier if I tell others that I am just Puerto Rican
So that my inclusion is possible and our friendship won’t weaken

Is it bad to be Black, German, and Native American I ask?
I hope you don’t expect me to deny who I am and wear a mask.

I see some people still have a problem with my race that I was assigned
But, I don’t roll the dice when I wake up nor do I navigate the color line

Away with the one-drop rule that defines my total essence
I will be strong and use this experience as a life lesson

Mixed Race Kids of All Nations you will always exist!!!!
Remember that God loves you and change requires resistance.

Myrtice J. Edwards
11-08-2008

No comments: