Monday, February 23, 2009

My thoughts on the one-drop rule

the one-drop rule (Also known as the rule of hypodescent) is a socially constructed classification system that was initiated during slavery in America that proclaimed that any person with any known African 'black' ancestry would have the same legal status as a 'pure' African. Translation: Jim Crow established this rule to group the slaves into one category. Jim Crow made a decision to group all the slaves into one category because it was easier for white people to separate themselves from the slaves. Then Willie Lynch (slave master) separated the slaves and created racism within our own people by dividing us up—House Negro and Field Negro’s. Lynch’s idea of providing privilege to one group and zero to the next helped him in his demise. I am sure you all know the story. Now, I don’t allow people (i.e. Jim Crow or society) to decide what race I am. That is an individual’s choice to make-no one else. When you empower one race, you disempowered another, so who said you have to choose. What to make things “easier” for you? I don’t think so. I here this one-drop rule BS all the time and personally I think its BS!!! The one drop rule is only applicable when necessary. Any other time we “BIRACIAL FOLKS” gotta prove our blackness while our “complete membership” is denied…unless we are famous. Most historical figures that helped paved a way for us was mostly biracial. I embrace my African American father and my German American mother. I may appear to be racially ambiguous to others but I will let you know if you just ask. I am not confused about who or what I am. But one cannot divorce himself from himself that’s what causes confusion. We will never have complete membership with attitudes like yours. Race is socially constructed and although slavery has ended, the psychological chains are still intact. Our thought process need to change….where knowledge is duty ignorance is a crime. I’m just saying….

No comments: